• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a personal check a binding contract???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hockeytown_rox

state: michigan

can you bind someone to a contract through a personal check? can you draft a contract along side of a personal check or on the back of a check, and if the other party cashes it, they are agreeing to the terms of the contract, if not, then they do not agree.

Hypothetically: legally I am not responsible nor liable for any damages to an item that i've sold to another individual, bottom line. however out of integrity i am willing to write a personal check to this person for a specific amount of money for alleged damages to an item that were discovered after the sale...although the party never inspected the item to see the damages before it was bought. with that check cashed they agree not to contact me anymore regarding this issue and they themselves assume all liability for further damage and i am released from all aspects of the situation.

is this legally binding if the person cashes the check?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">