• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sib

As part of a L.L.C. I signed a purchase agreement and issued a purchase order for flooring. The L.L.C. went out of business before the bill was completely settled. Partial payment was withheld due to installation problems. The flooring company sued me in Washington State in 1998 saying that I personally entered into the agreement because I didn't post a title after my name on the signature line of the agreement or the purchase order. Both of these agreements did contain the company name and address.
The Washington courts dismissed the case. Within a few months the company sued me in their home state of PA. Is this normal that the courts in one state allow the pursuit of personal liability when protected by a corporate or in this case L.L.C.? I've worked for many years in purchasing positions and have never entered my title or been instructed by an employer to enter one on the signature line of either purchase agreements or purchase orders. Do I have any recourse? This case has dragged on for two years and has had significant financial, family, and medical costs. Any ideas? Help?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">