• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

plastic surgeon's office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waverush

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

Hello,

Is it legal for a surgeon's office to take a $100 consultation fee, and then refuse to communicate with the potential patient? I don't mean missing one phone call. I mean blatantly ignoring emails sent from two separate accounts, including their "contact" page on their website. I have called, and they did not answer when their message said they would be in the office. I have never received an answer to any of my calls.

It's one thing for the doctor's office to be unprofessional; it's another to take money from a patient - with the expectation of continued communication - and then deny them the right to even speak with the office.

This doctor's office has a reputation for such behavior, which is a shame, because the doctor himself is very talented.
I greatly appreciate your input. Thanks so much.

SarahWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

Hello,

Is it legal for a surgeon's office to take a $100 consultation fee, and then refuse to communicate with the potential patient? I don't mean missing one phone call. I mean blatantly ignoring emails sent from two separate accounts, including their "contact" page on their website. I have called, and they did not answer when their message said they would be in the office. I have never received an answer to any of my calls.

It's one thing for the doctor's office to be unprofessional; it's another to take money from a patient - with the expectation of continued communication - and then deny them the right to even speak with the office.

This doctor's office has a reputation for such behavior, which is a shame, because the doctor himself is very talented.
I greatly appreciate your input. Thanks so much.

SarahWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

So you did have at least an initial consultation?

waverush

Yes, I did, and was ready to schedule surgery. I would have, if they had answered any of my calls or emails. The fact that they are refusing communication is the only reason I am not scheduling surgery with this office. The strangest thing is that the last time we spoke, the office told me they would be calling me to coordinate payment & scheduling. After I waited, I contacted. Then, waited. Contacted again. Waited again. They are not reachable by phone or email, period.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Yes, I did, and was ready to schedule surgery. I would have, if they had answered any of my calls or emails. The fact that they are refusing communication is the only reason I am not scheduling surgery with this office.

Then I'm really not sure what more you want from them?

You paid $100 for the consultation and had the consultation.

The service was provided.

:confused:

waverush

I am sorry that I am not explaining this clearly. I am completely understanding of the consult fee. I do not want a refund, and I have no problem paying it. The problem is that after the consult, after we discussed payment, after they said they would be calling me, after I have called and emailed them for three weeks, they will not respond to me.

I am not suggesting that the consult fee is wrong - I am a little more educated than that.

There is something at LEAST extremely unethical about being extremely open and available for scheduling the consultation, but being completely closed for scheduling the surgery itself.

I was ready to pay them $7,000. I am not complaining about paying $100 for a consult. I believe I am being turned away for not being a certain type of patient, in all honesty. I'm not sure what type they are seeking.

Proserpina

Thank you for explaining further :)

Well, they do have the right to select patients according to their own preferences and criteria.

It might have been that they simply didn't feel they could provide the service you're seeking. Or, perhaps their schedule is seriously so busy that 3-4 weeks is about average for them.

I agree that if nothing else it would be common courtesy to at least return a phone call but in terms of legalities they have done nothing wrong.

Good luck for the future though!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's a good thing you found out about this poor communication now. It gives you the opportunity to find a plastic surgeon will is better at communicating with his/her patients.

waverush

Prosperina,
I discovered yesterday that they do not want to take my payment. The person who is holding the funds I raised, and is writing the check, spoke with them. They didn't say outright that they would refuse payment, they just blew them off on the phone (after their 3rd conversation).
While it may not be illegal, it is most certainly unethical, because of this: The consult fee is deducted from the final cost of surgery. Therefore, I have the expectation of a choice. That choice was taken from me and put into their pockets. If they do not want to take my payment, they should at the very least be adults and not blatantly ignore my every attempt at communication. If they had any sense of ethics, they would take that consult fee into consideration. My money was good enough to pay the fee; it's just not good enough to pay for surgery in full.
I'm not joking, although it really does seem like this is a wild story.
I'll simply be reporting them to the BBB, FTC, consumer complaint forums, etc., to warn other innocent people from being abused in this way.
Zigner,
YES, I have indeed dodged a bullet! If they can't handle the teeny tiny tasks of office administration, and if they are so obviously and un-apologetically dishonest, they are not qualified to perform surgery.

Prosperina,
I discovered yesterday that they do not want to take my payment. The person who is holding the funds I raised, and is writing the check, spoke with them. They didn't say outright that they would refuse payment, they just blew them off on the phone (after their 3rd conversation).
While it may not be illegal, it is most certainly unethical, because of this: The consult fee is deducted from the final cost of surgery. Therefore, I have the expectation of a choice. That choice was taken from me and put into their pockets. If they do not want to take my payment, they should at the very least be adults and not blatantly ignore my every attempt at communication. If they had any sense of ethics, they would take that consult fee into consideration. My money was good enough to pay the fee; it's just not good enough to pay for surgery in full.
I'm not joking, although it really does seem like this is a wild story.
I'll simply be reporting them to the BBB, FTC, consumer complaint forums, etc., to warn other innocent people from being abused in this way.
Zigner,
YES, I have indeed dodged a bullet! If they can't handle the teeny tiny tasks of office administration, and if they are so obviously and un-apologetically dishonest, they are not qualified to perform surgery.
I wouldn't say that they are not qualified to do surgery. Many doctors will not return phone calls or emails; can they be that busy? Maybe at times. But I'm going to agree with the OP on this one -- its a doctor's office I would stay away from. What if you had surgery & had an issue you want to discuss? Are you from the future when Obamacare goes into action? lol, sounds like t.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">