• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tomrf618

I'm from PA and I recieved a phone deal through a guy who sold Emergency personell(cops,firefighter, medics) the phone's. He stated that you get unlimited minutes because you get on a corperate account that he has available to him for us. I payed him 200 dollars for the phone and 30 dollars a month. I got rid of the phone about 3 months into the deal. I gave it back and he gave it to another Emergency personel. He was suppose to switch the information over. Approx. 6 months after I got the phone some company named WorldCom sends me a bill. I wrote them telling them I no long have the phone. I didn't hear anything and 1-2 months after that I get another bill for like 600 dollars. I sent them another letter telling them what happened. The guy who sold everyone the phone's in no where to be found and is heard to be in jail for Fraud. I never signed a contract and never even spoke with this guy. He was a friend of a friend. I now have a bill for 2300 dollars. I spoke to there fraud department and they told me to bad. Can someone please help me, I have no idea where to turn. I can even think straight right now with the through of my credit getting ruined and how i'm going to get this mess figured out. I called the friend who sold me the phone and he told me they took care of his bill but it was no where near by amount. He didn't remember the name of the guy and is going to "try" and look for it in his paperwork. Once again some one please help!

JETX

Sorry, but it sounds like you have let yourself fall into a big pile of trouble.

The fact that you have NO documentation on any of this and it is all just 'friends of friends' doesn't help, and certainly hurts, any attempts to get this straight. And it sounds like you didn't get any release or assurance of stopping billing when you disposed of the phone... so it sounds to me like you are stuck with the bill.

However, it also sounds like the phone is still being used (since the balance is increasing). Have you sent a stop notice to WorldCom in WRITING??? If not, do it now. Detail your situation and ask that they cease service at the number on YOUR account. Also, ask if there an investigation could be made into the account activity to clear your account. If not, your stuck.

Another expensive "Lesson of Life". If it is YOUR money on the line, get it in writing!!!

T

tomrf618

Thank you for your help, i definitely appreciate it. I did write them telling them I do not have the phone any more. They told me that they didn't have any thing stating that. I guess I'm up the creek with out a paddle. But I didn't sign a contract nor did I give WorldCom authorization to use my information for anything, does that matter? thanks Again.
Tom

JETX

WorldCom is probably the service provider (either originally or by acquisition), so there involvement doesn't help you in any way.

And you said you told them you no longer had the phone, but that doesn't solve the problem. You could easily have lost the phone, but would still be responsible until you formally cancelled the account.

My original suggestions stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">