• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help with martial arts contract problem...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Noog

What is the name of your state? Virginia

This is long, but I would really appreciate any help you guys can give on this matter.

I had a contract with a martial arts school for one year of lessons. The last few months of which I couldn’t attend due to other issues. That’s no problem, though, I paid the last payments anyway. Those payments were automatically billed to my check card. I didn’t notice, but hey continued to charge me after the agreed upon date (01/25/05 was the last payment as per the contract) on the contract. They deducted a payment from my check card for one month (02/25/05) and sent me a bill for another months payment (03/25/05). They sent me a bill for the second over-payment because my check card expired before they charged me. That’s what actually got my attention. I didn’t notice they were still charging me since I was so used to paying them every month for a year. I called the company that does the billing for my martial arts school and told them I only singed up for one year of lessons and had been charged two months over that. They told me that my account was marked for automatic renewal. I checked my copy of my contract and the “Renewal Agreement Information” area of the contract was not filled out or the box checked whatsoever. They told me I needed to clear this up with the martial arts school myself and that they (the billing company) couldn’t do anything about it. So, for the last several days I’ve left messages and emails at my martial arts school with no response. I can’t really go there since I went to a satellite location (just a room in a Gold’s Gym with non-paid instructors that have nothing to do with the academies finances)and the main school is quite a distance from my house. This is a holiday weekend, so I’m not going to panic, but just incase they give me a hard time, I’d like to know my rights. I’ll cut my loses on the one over-payment that was already taken from my check card, but I don’t think I should have to pay the second bill they sent me.

I know I’m rambling…

The bottom line is: I signed up for 12 months of lessons with a total tuition of x amount of dollars in 11 payments and a down payment. I paid x amount of dollars in 11 payments, the down payment, plus one extra payment and now one unpaid bill sitting on my desk. No renewal was agreed to under the contract, yet the billing company says my account is flagged as renewed and is continuing to bill me (and tack on “Return Item Fees” every 15 days to every bill they send me).

How can I get this cleared up? I have to get this auto-renewal cancelled and have the bill I was just sent canceled.

THANK YOU to everyone who read all of that and have a happy Easter!

Noog

Well, I sent certified mail to both the school and billing company explaining the situiation. A few days later the billing company sent me a letter telling me they could "relieve me of the future obligations with a 60 day notice". Meaning they want me to pay for two more months of service even though the terms of the contract have been paid in full. Does this make sense to anyone? What can I do?

Thanks.

Yuke

You must first snatch the pebble from their hand, to make them stop billing you.

Seriously though, tell your bank to not allow the billing of your card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">