• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pledge by intimidation - legal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lglcurious

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi,

This is related to a forum question from years ago,

"Is a pledge to charity by voice over the phone a binding contract?"

https://forum.freeadvice.com/consumer-contracts-guarantees-warranties-22/pledge-charity-voice-over-phone-binding-contract-532187.html

A week ago, my wife received a call from The Police Association of NY, apparently one of the agencies flagged XXXXX

My wife had been sleeping, and also doesn't perfectly understand English (She's Chinese), but generally didn't want to commit to anything. The guy said to her something like "It sounds like you're not interested in helping the police". She was intimidated, and said, "No, I just don't understand. I'm happy to help the police. Just send something in the mail."

We didn't record the call, but apparently they recorded parts of it.

So my question is: If a person makes a pledge who doesn't completely understand what they are committing to, and felt intimidated into making it, are they liable to follow through?

We received the pledge envelope a couple of days ago, and I thought it would be best to ask about this, first.

My first thought is to send in the pledge of $50, along with a printed copy of that page XXXXX , and insist that they don't call my house again. Or possibly get a retainer with a lawyer, forward their card to them, and tell them to contact the lawyer if they have any questions.

What do you think?

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">