• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is POA a 'contract'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

ForMom

What is the name of your state? VA and PA

Pulled out the Black's Dictionary, but still need to ask...is a POA a 'contract' in the legal sense/term?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ForMom said:
What is the name of your state? VA and PA

Pulled out the Black's Dictionary, but still need to ask...is a POA a 'contract' in the legal sense/term?

My response:

No. It's more akin to a "trust" than a contract. In a contract, you're usually trading a "bargain for a bargain"; i.e., something of value for something of value - - and you're not doing that with a POA.

A Power of Attorney, however, is a way for the "power of one" (the principle) to be entrusted or transferred to another (the fiduciary) on behalf of the principle, ergo, it's kinship to a "trust.

But, like a contract, a POA can be "breached." If it is breached, it's called a "breach of fiduciary duty."

If I sign a POA to you, and you accept, for the sole purpose of paying my Visa charge card payment each month, and you allow that account to default, that default is a breach of your fiduciary duty to me.

IAAL

Last edited:
F

ForMom

Thank you...

Other than the Civil area, where can I research 'trust's' and 'breach of trust'; ie. Criminal, UCC, etc. Or am I reaching for the stars??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">