• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Postal annex losses package/ take 2 court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdxglide

Hi everyone I appreciate any feedback.

So I take a package to a postal annex in town. Portland oregon
I had them ship it out through FedEx. I paid said it was only worth 100 cause I knew it wasn't going to be damaged and I didn't want to pay a lot for shipping. I've shipped over 100 packages FedEx hasn't messed up one time. Well after I left my package the employee set it on the counter and the postman came in to pick up the mail he accidentally grabbed my box and now the box is gone. I've called the list office the postal annex called the box is gone. So now the owner of postal annex just told me he will give me 100 dollars since that's all the insurance I had on it. I said it doesn't matter what I said because regardless it wasn't fedex's fault and I can prove what's in the box. The cameras in his store clearly show the postman taking my box which the postal worker denies. So my question is do I take the owner to small claims court for what the item was really worth which is 500. I can prove what I sent because I had to take pictures of the item and email them to the place the package was going. So I have multiple emails back and forth about what I sent. I'm meeting With the owner of the postal Annex tomorrow and I'm going to show him what I have that proves what i mailed. but if he refuses To reimburse me the full amount for my item do I say then I will see you in small claims court and do you think I have a case. It was in his stores possession and they should've secured it so it got to FedEx.

justalayman

You would not be owed more than $100 because that is the declared value. What difference does it make if the mail man picked it up of the FedEx man tossed it out of his truck while driving down the road? You released the package to the shipping company so from that point on, they are liable for the package. Since you declared a $100 value, he is compensating you exactly what you declared the package was worth.

sandyclaus

Hi everyone I appreciate any feedback.

So I take a package to a postal annex in town. Portland oregon
I had them ship it out through FedEx. I paid said it was only worth 100 cause I knew it wasn't going to be damaged and I didn't want to pay a lot for shipping. I've shipped over 100 packages FedEx hasn't messed up one time. Well after I left my package the employee set it on the counter and the postman came in to pick up the mail he accidentally grabbed my box and now the box is gone. I've called the list office the postal annex called the box is gone. So now the owner of postal annex just told me he will give me 100 dollars since that's all the insurance I had on it. I said it doesn't matter what I said because regardless it wasn't fedex's fault and I can prove what's in the box. The cameras in his store clearly show the postman taking my box which the postal worker denies. So my question is do I take the owner to small claims court for what the item was really worth which is 500. I can prove what I sent because I had to take pictures of the item and email them to the place the package was going. So I have multiple emails back and forth about what I sent. I'm meeting With the owner of the postal Annex tomorrow and I'm going to show him what I have that proves what i mailed. but if he refuses To reimburse me the full amount for my item do I say then I will see you in small claims court and do you think I have a case. It was in his stores possession and they should've secured it so it got to FedEx.
The point to the declared value is for just this kind of situation. The carrier will only insure the package for the declared value, and NOT for a penny more. The fact that you chose not to declare the actual value of the item(s) in the package falls upon you.

swalsh411

I paid said it was only worth 100 cause I knew it wasn't going to be damaged and I didn't want to pay a lot for shipping.
So what if I said "I ordered a small because I only wanted to pay for a small but they should give me a large instead for the same price."? Do you think I would be entitled to a free upgrade to a large? Of course not. But that is essentially what you are claiming should happen.

Pdxglide

The point to the declared value is for just this kind of situation. The carrier will only insure the package for the declared value, and NOT for a penny more. The fact that you chose not to declare the actual value of the item(s) in the package falls upon you.
The point I'm trying to make though is that it wasn't the carrier who lost it. The store I dropped it off at neglected to put the package where it belonged behind the counter in the fedex area. The employee who helped left it on the counter and started helping other customers and while doing this the package was taken off the counter. The store didn't ask if I wanted insurance for while the package sat in the store til it was picked up. Also i first stated the value at 200 but then realized it cost more to ship so dropped it down to 100. That was for fedex. Therefore I feel like the owner of the store should be held responsible for not taking care of it. I can prove what was in the box as well. I would testify i lowballed the package as to save money on shipping due to fedex having a perfect shipping record with my stuff. Does this change anything

CSO286

The point I'm trying to make though is that it wasn't the carrier who lost it. The store I dropped it off at neglected to put the package where it belonged behind the counter in the fedex area. The employee who helped left it on the counter and started helping other customers and while doing this the package was taken off the counter. The store didn't ask if I wanted insurance for while the package sat in the store til it was picked up. Also i first stated the value at 200 but then realized it cost more to ship so dropped it down to 100. That was for fedex. Therefore I feel like the owner of the store should be held responsible for not taking care of it. I can prove what was in the box as well. I would testify i lowballed the package as to save money on shipping due to fedex having a perfect shipping record with my stuff. Does this change anything
Sure, they are responsible for reimbursing you for the value of the item that was lost.

Of course, you stated on the insurance form that the value of said item was $100.

swalsh411

What part or parts of the below do you not understand?

You are only entitled to be reimbursed for the declared value.

CSO286

The carrier's representative "lost" the package.
As their representative, they are bound by the same agreement/terms as the carrier.

The iten is only worth what you claimed it to be worth. $100.

justalayman

My position is the same as before. CSO286 brought up a salient point: the store is the agent of the carrier. Whether it was lost at the store or by a FedEx guy throwing it out the door of his truck, it makes no difference. It was lost after you released it to the carrier.

With that said, smalls claims courts are generally inexpensive. If you believe you can convince a judge of what you couldn't convince anybody here, file a suit and see where it goes.

sandyclaus

We got that. Our responses were non-specific to WHO was doing the reimbursing, but only to how much.

Sure, they are responsible for reimbursing you for the value of the item that was lost.

Of course, you stated on the insurance form that the value of said item was $100.
Regardless of WHO you choose to go after, you're only getting the declared value. NOT. A. PENNY. MORE.

The fact that you chose to lowball the declared value changes absolutely nothing, except that it makes your expectation to get back MORE than what you said the item was worth unreasonable.

When you choose to cut corners, sometimes you end up shooting yourself in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">