• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prepaid Credit Card Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Randy7715

What is the name of your state?Colorado

I bought several prepaid Mastercards from Cardex as gifts for Christmas 2003. One went to my 16-year old nephew, in his name. Prepaid amount was $75. He managed to spend $143 on the card by reaching close to the limit and getting an AOL internet account with automatic monthly billing to his card. His dad started getting bills and contacted me. I spoke with Cardex but was told that the account could not be "turned off", had no actual credit limit, and that I, as purchaser, would be ultimately responsible for any balance, forever. I was only able to turn off the AOL account when I told them that he was not old enough to have an account in his name. The nephew (who doesn't live with his dad) found a way to rack up more charges on the card, and yesterday Cardex added another $49.99 "correction" to the bill. Cardex is persistent but I have not paid the bill as it continues to grow. The nephew is now 18 if that makes any difference. What problems may I face?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">