• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

price charged more than posted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Google is NOT my friend tonight. Up in a northern state, there was a consumer protection law that dinged a business pretty good (10 x the difference) if they charged a higher price than was posted.

Earlier tonight, I questioned why my item was higher than what was posted. Yes, I did take a picture of what was posted versus my receipt. I am trying to find anything that I can take back to management over the issue. Help!

Proserpina

Google is NOT my friend tonight. Up in a northern state, there was a consumer protection law that dinged a business pretty good (10 x the difference) if they charged a higher price than was posted.

Earlier tonight, I questioned why my item was higher than what was posted. Yes, I did take a picture of what was posted versus my receipt. I am trying to find anything that I can take back to management over the issue. Help!

Okay, here's what I've found so far:

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-17337_20942-134114--,00.html

That includes the 10 times thing, I think. Is this what you're looking for?

BL

The sign in the store says the computer printer is $2.49, but it rang up at $249. Saying it was an error, the store is refusing to honor the posted price.
The law
It's generally a myth that retailers must honor a posted price if it's simply a mistake, although some stores might do so as a matter of policy or on a case-by-case basis. The issue gets murky if the retailer begins processing the order, something that is more likely to happen online, says Jane Winn, a professor at the University of Washington Law School. But even then, she says, a merchant might be able to cancel the purchase if the price was so low that a buyer should have known it was mistake. An online retailer's fine print may relieve it of the duty to fulfill orders based on pricing errors.

You should know
Businesses that intentionally post false prices or that otherwise engage in bait-and-switch pricing can be liable under federal and state consumer-protection statutes.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Prosepina is correct that I DID use the law from Michigan. They were big time sticklers about using a computer price that had to match or be lower than what was posted.

The price difference wasn't that much, but it totally irked me. I questioned the transaction. I told them that I was planning on taking a picture of what was posted and calling management about it. I just hoped to have something to back me up to make it terribly uncomfortable for them. Someone got lazy.

I wasn't sure if it fell under deceptive trade or not.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Got a free meal out of the complaint to the manager. :D And it was very very fresh.

From talk with other neighbors, no one goes to that particular site because of the many complaints they had about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">