• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Price Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

g_rhymes

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I registered my son at daycare last year and was given a price sheet at that time (prices vary depending on child's age). A friend recently joined the same daycare. Her price sheet showed that the prices went down considerably. When I asked the assistant director if our prices would go down, she said no they wouldn't (she said they would remain the same and not change at all). When we joined, we paid a regisration fee and signed an agreement, but the agreement didn't state a time frame (very generic form agreeing to terms of care for the child). AND, we have pay the $175 registration fee yearly.

Does this sound like price disrimination? What rights do I have in this situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

djohnson

What did she say when you asked her why the difference in rate. Does this other person have more children? It is common to offer discounts with more children. Were they haveing a special promotion. I know several daycares that waive the registration fee for a couple a weeks each year to try ang help fill up the business. Before you know if it's any kind of discrimination you need to know why the difference.

JETX

Very simply:

"Does this sound like price disrimination?"
*** No. Though it does sound like poor 'marketing' on their part, there is no statutory obligation that all customers pay the same price.

"What rights do I have in this situation?"
*** Your only 'rights' are to decide to continue paying the agreed (or offered) price, or to move to another facility.

G

g_rhymes

The other person has one child (like myself). The price sheet that she has is suppose to be the effective prices (promotions and discounts are subtracted from those prices). The assistant director implied that I was stuck with the old prices (she really didn't explain why I was stuck with the old prices). I didn't argue to much until I understood my own rights in this situation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Do you ask the same question when you go to a car dealership and see different prices for the same car? Or, do you ask that same question when you buy a car, only to find out later that your neighbor, who went to the same dealership, bought the car at a lower price than you did?

Prices are set based upon what the traffic will bear.

IAAL

G

g_rhymes

Let me re-phrase my question. Is the document that I signed considered a binding contract even though is does specifiy a date range and since I have to pay a registration fee each year?

The fact that I have to pay a registration fee means that I'm signing up again (right?). At that point I should be charge the effect prices that the daycare is advertising to new customers. I shouldn't be held to an old price.

Is there any language in a document that would make me bound to the original prices AND have to pay a registration fee each year?

Last edited:

djohnson

As we don't know what you signed or what it may have said, we can't answer that question. Try reading it to see what it covers. Most daycares require a two week notice and you can pull your children out and end of contract. Probably the least you agreed to was to abide by the policies they put forth, this would encompass everything. If you don't like it change your children or give a two week notice and try to reenroll them. See what the director says would happen in those circumstances. You would probably have to pay the yearly fee again though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">