• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

private auto sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

billy222422

What is the name of your state? New York

I was in the process of purchasing a project car from a wholesale dealer when I became very ill and suddenly lost all sources of income. I panicked, advertised the car in a paper, found a buyer--all the while assuming the wholesale dealer would just do the paperwork for the 'new' owner. The new owner paid me (which I immediately used to preserve my phone serv, apt etc), and the buyer in an effort to not pay sales tax asked me to sign a DMV form stating that I 'gave' him the car as a gift
The whlesle dealer informed me that there was no way he was selling this 'stranger' a car (liability issues)and that I had to get a title issued in my name 1st. I feel terrible about what happened and would love to give this person his money back but now it isn't possible. The title should be around in a week or two.In the meanwhile this buyer is beginning to harass me by calling incessantly late at night, early in the AM
Since all this person has is a DMV form for 'receiving a car as a gift' is there anything he can do to me legally if I'm forced to get aggressive about him just being patient until the title comes in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">