• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private auto sales question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MBM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

In the process of shopping for a used vehicle, I found one that I was interested in through a private individual who was selling their car. I took an initial test drive and liked what I saw. At that point I told the seller I liked the vehicle, but I still wanted to get a Car Fax and my mechanic to take a look at it before I committed to purchase the vehicle. The seller wanted a good faith deposit to keep it off the market while my mechanic looked it over. I agreed, with the stipulation that the deposit was just to hold the vehicle until my mechanic could take a look at it and barring any major problems with the engine or transmission I would buy the vehicle. We agreed and 2 days later my mechanic did get a chance to look it over. In the inspection, my mechanic found that it did have the starts of a larger transmission issue, one that could of cost me an additional 2-3K. I called the seller and told him that I was not going to be buying the vehicle considering the problems that my mechanic found. At that point I offered to compensate him for his time, with the understanding that had sunk costs as well and that we should split the expense. He agreed to give me back $400 of my $500 deposit, but that he didn't have the money and would get it to me in a week. A week has come and gone and I still cannot get a hold of him via phone, but I do know where he lives. What legal recourse do I have at this time to get my money back? I know small claims court is an option, but what else could I do to get this individual to do the right thing and honor his agreement? If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">