• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private party car purchase help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legaladvice1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois but purchased the vehicle in Wisconsin

Hello,

A friend of mine has recently purchased a car off of a private party in Wisconsin. He paid the man selling the car $1200. We met up with the man at his residence in Wisconsin and tested out the car to see if everything was fine. He claimed that the car had a new engine in it and he even showed us a signed note stating that a mechanic put a new engine in it with about 160,000 miles on the engine and the car's odometer showed 220,000. This note appeared forged to us as it was only written on a piece of paper with no actually receipt. We asked for him to show us evidence of purchase of this new engine and he told us that he will send it to us later that day via email after his fiancee gets out of work, because she has access to the amazon account where the purchase was made and he did not know the password. My friend got this in writing and signed by both parties that he would send us this evidence later in that day. A few days later my friends car broke down due to an issue with the engine. We attempted to contact the seller of the vehicle but he did not respond and he also never sent us the evidence of the new engine he claimed to have put in this vehicle a few months ago. We believe that he never actually put a new engine in and lied to us in order to sell the vehicle.
Is there anything my friend can do about this?

Thank you

adjusterjack

We believe that he never actually put a new engine in and lied to us in order to sell the vehicle.
Is there anything my friend can do about this?
Reality check. Your friend is a victim of his own gullibility.

He can sue the seller if he can locate him but, even if he wins the lawsuit, the guy's a liar and a crook and isn't likely to pay.

Your friend needs to just lick his wounds and learn a life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

By the way, another thing your friend needs to understand is that any vehicle with 220,000 on it that only costs $1200 is guaranteed to need expensive repairs no matter what anybody says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">