• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Party Rip Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klong81

I live in Idaho and I recently bought a 2002 Chevy Avalanche. I went through the appropriate channels of having the vehicle inspected by a sound mechanic before I purchased the car. Immediately after I bought it however I began having problems. I took it to have its oil changed and they told me I needed a new alternator and a waterpump... $1100 dollars later I was not a happy camper. Yet the problems continue the car just died yesterday... no power... nothing. I was convinced it was the newly installed alternator and returned to the mechanic. As it turns out the shady woman I bought the car has cut the Data Link Connector (it is very obvious it has been tampered with) along with this they think I need a Body Control Module. I am looking at $1000's of dollars worth of repair because the seller was awful enough to cut that connection. Any ideas if I have a legal leg to stand on with this woman? Or am I simply screwed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you should head on back to your "sound mechanic" and ask why these things were missed!

CSO286

I live in Idaho and I recently bought a 2002 Chevy Avalanche. I went through the appropriate channels of having the vehicle inspected by a sound mechanic before I purchased the car. Immediately after I bought it however I began having problems. I took it to have its oil changed and they told me I needed a new alternator and a waterpump... $1100 dollars later I was not a happy camper. Yet the problems continue the car just died yesterday... no power... nothing. I was convinced it was the newly installed alternator and returned to the mechanic. As it turns out the shady woman I bought the car has cut the Data Link Connector (it is very obvious it has been tampered with) along with this they think I need a Body Control Module. I am looking at $1000's of dollars worth of repair because the seller was awful enough to cut that connection. Any ideas if I have a legal leg to stand on with this woman? Or am I simply screwed?
And you know she did this---HOW?

sandyclaus

...I went through the appropriate channels of having the vehicle inspected by a sound mechanic before I purchased the car... As it turns out the shady woman I bought the car has cut the Data Link Connector (it is very obvious it has been tampered with) along with this they think I need a Body Control Module..
If it was so obvious, your "sound mechanic" should have easily discovered this issue during their inspection. So, either your mechanic wasn't so sound, or it wasn't so obvious.

Did you hire YOUR OWN mechanic to do the inspection, or did you hire someone recommended by the seller?

Either way, the fault here isn't with the seller. "AS IS" means just that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">