• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Party Vehicle Sale - Buyer noticed damage unseen during inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cvo75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I sold a vehicle private party yesterday. The car was inspected and driven by two different people on two different days. Today I received a message from the buyer stating that they had found damage to the vehicle that they didn't see before and "was not disclosed". I was informed that they would be getting an estimate to repair the damage and send it to me via post along with a demand to pay letter from their attorney. I'm wondering if I will be obligated to pay this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

swalsh411

Tell them the vehicle was sold as-is, they had ample opportunity for inspection, and you are not responsible for anything they missed. They have no case and paid an attorney to write a letter hoping you would pay up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">