• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

private school enrollment deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mara68

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New York
I applied for admission to a private school for my dughter. She was put on the waiting list due to large numbers of applicants. I recieved a letter about 6 weeks later stating they had opened another room and that if we were still interested that we would need to send $1000 in the next 5 days as a downpayment on her spot. They did say that the money was applicable to her tuition, albeit non-refundable. At that point no enrollment forms or any agreement forms had been signed and the school had yet to disclose the full amount of tuition (increased) for the current year. Two weeks later my husband's job decided to transfer us out of state. I called to cancel her spot and they of course told me I would not recieve a refund. Her spot in the classroom has easily been filled since then. Additionally, it appears that on the enrollment agreement that certain fees and tuition are refundable before Aug 1. Do I have any recourse since 1) the downpayment was pressured and under a time constraint 2) the full tuition had not been disclosed to me at the time of the downpayment 3) I never signed any enrollment agreement with the school. Thank you

shortbus

No, you have no recourse. They told you it was a non-refundable deposit, then you had to cancel. Pretty simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">