• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private school tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

odowsh

In Dec. of 1999, I enrolled my daughter in a private school in NYC. I work and live in Texas and my daughter is staying with my parents in NYC. I am a single mother and am self employed. In February of 2000 they mailed me a contract that held me responsible for tuition up until June 2001! I stupidly signed the contract without reading it carefully. In July of 2000 I withdrew my daughter from the school because she was unhappy there. In fact this school has a tremendous attrition rate and I wonder if there is something strange about the school and its philosophy. I am now being sued for the balance ie. an entire 12 mos. of tuition. My daughter attends another private school in NYC and is extremely happy there as are all the other children who attend this school. I REALLY don't want to pay the tuition being demanded and feel that I was unjustly duped into signing a contract by a school that is desperate to hold onto its pupils who, by the way, are leaving in large numbers. Can I threaten to countersue for deceptive trade practice? Can I threaten to drag the principal down to Texas for litigation? Can I convince a judge that it would be a tremendous hardship for me as a single parent to travel up to NYCfor court appearances? PLease answer asap. I have ten days to reply to the school's attorney. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">