• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with a car dealership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cloudian

On October 21,2000 I purchased a used car from a dealership in Queens, NY. The contract was signed and the car was delivered to me that same day. A few days later I accepted an employment offer from a company in California. On November 1, 2000 I moved to California. Upon my arrival to my new residence I called the dealership and asked them to provide me with the bank's address so that I could start sending my car payments and notify them of my new address. The dealership was very upset that I have moved and started to convince me that I have to go back and redo the contract. They told me that I had no right to move to another state. They also told me that now that I have moved they would have to find a totally different bank to finance the vehicle. It has been three weeks since and I am still trying to get them to get me in touch with the bank. The dealership insists on a new contract and states that they will provide me with California registration instead of a New York. I agreed that I will sign a new contract provided that the terms don't change. This week they promised to overnight the new contract to me every day and it still did not happen. Today I had a very tense conversation with their finance manager and she insisted that I overnight the original of my insurance policy to her at my expense. I am not positive that this new step will bring me any closer to the end. When I asked her why did not she ask for the original of my policy before she replied that she did not know until today that she would need it. I am not sure what is going on and would like to know what my rights are at this point. Can the dealership take the car back ? If yes, will I be able to get my downpayment ($3500,00) back? What can I expect at this point? Any advise is appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Cloudian said:
On October 21,2000 I purchased a used car from a dealership in Queens, NY. The contract was signed and the car was delivered to me that same day. A few days later I accepted an employment offer from a company in California. On November 1, 2000 I moved to California. Upon my arrival to my new residence I called the dealership and asked them to provide me with the bank's address so that I could start sending my car payments and notify them of my new address. The dealership was very upset that I have moved and started to convince me that I have to go back and redo the contract. They told me that I had no right to move to another state. They also told me that now that I have moved they would have to find a totally different bank to finance the vehicle. It has been three weeks since and I am still trying to get them to get me in touch with the bank. The dealership insists on a new contract and states that they will provide me with California registration instead of a New York. I agreed that I will sign a new contract provided that the terms don't change. This week they promised to overnight the new contract to me every day and it still did not happen. Today I had a very tense conversation with their finance manager and she insisted that I overnight the original of my insurance policy to her at my expense. I am not positive that this new step will bring me any closer to the end. When I asked her why did not she ask for the original of my policy before she replied that she did not know until today that she would need it. I am not sure what is going on and would like to know what my rights are at this point. Can the dealership take the car back ? If yes, will I be able to get my downpayment ($3500,00) back? What can I expect at this point? Any advise is appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
My response:

Quite frankly, I'm a bit perplexed myself. I don't understand what their problem or concerns are in this matter. So what if you move? You have the right to travel or go wherever you want.

Just make life simple for yourself, and avoid the hastles. Go to your bank here in California, get a loan, and pay off the dealership contract.

IAAL

C

Cloudian

They kept on stating that the bank that they found for me to finance the car does not serve California. Few days later they said that the bank does serve California and will continue financing my car as soon as we sign a new contract. I would follow your advice and find a local bank to finance the car but I do have a problematic credit history, and it will be even more difficult to get a loan now, considering that i just moved and started a new job.
All I want to do at this point is to either start making payments for the car I bought or to return it to the dealership and not lose my money. I am also worried that they can take the car and keep my downpayment if I don't act fast. Do they have a right to breach the contract and take the car (provided, I am more than willing and capable to make payments)
Any other thoughts? Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">