• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with a check I wrote

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jtestani

I live in Trumbull,CT and wrote a personal check to a building contactor (who also lives and works in Connecticut) dated today November 9,2001. The mistake I made was I thought I had 24 hours (1 business day) to make certain the funds would be available in my account. The builder went to the bank that I used to write the check in the morning and was told the funds were not available. The builder was very upset and obusive to my wife and mother-in-law. In response, I left the builder 4 different messages on his home answering machine to explain the mistake and made and inform him the funds were available at the end of the business day. I also suggested in my messages that I would meet him in the morning with a bank check for the full amount of the check($5,000.00)As of November 8th, I gave the builder a bank check and he gave back to me the personal check I had given him, very few words were exchanged during the transaction Can he have me arrested or take legal action against me? This is by far the most embarrasing and upsetting moment as an adult I can remember with the exception of the death of my family members - please help?!

It has been one week since I gave the bulder a bank check - do I still need to worry? Please Help!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">