• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with Health Care Rating Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sagor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am a licensed clinical psychologist in private practice who also works in a hospital outpatient psychiatric clinic. A few years ago, I noticed that when I google myself my name is listed with several health care rating companies where people can rate my services using one to five stars (five stars being the best rating). I never signed up with any of these sites and never gave it much thought. Then, a few weeks ago, I had an encounter with a difficult patient in my clinic; the patient had to be removed by hospital police from my clinic against his will and he was not happy. A few days after this event, I noticed that there were several "one star" ratings on one of the health care rating sites. I can't prove that it was the difficult patient who had given me these ratings, but ultimately it doesn't matter. The point is I should not have been listed as a provider since I never asked for this to happen. I emailed customer service of the site in question and was told I should edit my provider profile. Keep in mind, I never signed up with them and never created a profile; now I am asked to come up with a user name and password to edit my profile! I emailed them back several times, getting increasingly frustrated, and only getting generic emails back suggesting I edit my profile. Finally, I threatened legal action and this was then the email that was sent back to me: "If you are aware of any information that is inaccurate or is not publicly available in your profile, please let us know so we can investigate further. However, we will not remove accurate, publicly available information from our website. Such information is provided as a service to consumers." I really don't know what my next step should be at this point. I am not happy about the fact that there is a public domain that lists me as having several "one star" ratings, but I am even more frustrated by the fact that the site is using my name and information even though I have not given them permission to do so. Any suggestions how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tranquility

I don't think you *have* a "next step". People are allowed to express an opinion about the quality of your work. If you believe the information is false and defamatory, you might have a lawsuit. But, I suspect this information will be protected opinion and not actionable.

sagor

I don't think you *have* a "next step". People are allowed to express an opinion about the quality of your work. If you believe the information is false and defamatory, you might have a lawsuit. But, I suspect this information will be protected opinion and not actionable.
Thanks for your response. I am not questioning the fact that people rate my services, my question is about that I have a provider profile posted on the site. I never agreed for this site to post my information.

tranquility

Thanks for your response. I am not questioning the fact that people rate my services, my question is about that I have a provider profile posted on the site. I never agreed for this site to post my information.
You don't have to give permission for your neighbors to talk about you over the backyard fence. Same theory.

swalsh411

You are open to the public for business. Presumably you are in the phone book. You can't hide your existence and you can't stop people from expressing an opinion.

sagor

You are open to the public for business. Presumably you are in the phone book. You can't hide your existence and you can't stop people from expressing an opinion.
Thank you everybody for your responses. Sounds like I should get over the one star rating and accept that my information is accessible to the public domain and move on. :)

swalsh411

The best court of action is to provide a good experience for your customers and so maybe one day if they happen upon this "rating" you got they will realize it's a load of bupkis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">