• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with in-laws in battle over wedding pictures, SC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carbonfly

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Hey everyone,

I could use some help in a situation that I am currently stuck in. Here is the short and quick version....

My wife and I got married back in July. We planned a surprise arts demonstration for everyone at the reception. My wife's family was furious about this and decided that they didn't like me and began threatening to kill me and harm my family.

We left the reception early, went on our honeymoon and returned a week later. When we returned my wife's family threatened to press charges against me for ruining the reception with the surprise that my wife and I had planned if she would not divorce me. My wife said goodbye to her family and has not spoken to them since returning.

Now for the legal situation.....

My wife and I both signed the contract with the photographer. My mother-in-law was not at the contract signing, nor had she met the photographer. She did give us a check to pay the photographer.

The in-laws have been interfering with our lives for weeks now and she has been desperately trying to get the photographer to release pictures to her. I had an agreement with the photographer that only my wife and I would get the pictures and we would give them to the people we chose. In the contract our photographer also does an online viewing of photos. We asked him not to post these photos as we do not want any pictures going to my mother-in-law at this time

Today my mother-in-law has written multiple emails to the photographer. She is threatening legal action against the photographer if he does not release the photos to her. She is claiming that she wrote the check and so she is the rightful owner. My photographer does not want to be a part of this family battle and he wants to know what to do.

My question.....

Does my mother-in-law have any legal rights to sue the photographer for pictures?

My wife and I own the rights in the contract, but my mother-in-law wrote a check for the pictures. She is also threatening having the check cancelled.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">