• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with Payroll Direct Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dimplezonly

My husband and I are separated, and recently I discovered that he had access to my checking account. This created some problems with Overdrafts, etc. After I discovered this, I immediately contacted my employer to halt any automatic deposits of my paychecks, until I could straighten this out. My employer confirmed that this would be done and issued me a hard copy check instead, for my 10/15 payroll. Today I was contacted by my employer who told me that they had also done a direct deposit to my account, in addition to the hand check that they issued . . . however, when they tried to reverse the process, the bank would not allow it because the account was overdrawn. My question/concern is . . . that this was clearly a mistake on my employers part...(issuing 2 payroll payments)...however, since the bank refuses to reverse the process, my employer has told me that they will withold my next payroll to cover this. I cannot survive without it! My separation has left me in a terrible financial bind, and I'm living paycheck to paycheck as it is. Is it legal for the bank to hold onto funds that were received in error? Is it legal for my employer to charge me for their oversight and errors? I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">