• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procrastination or negligance from a car dealership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dejaoo7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

PROCRASTINATION OF NEGLECT:
Can I sue a dealer if I presented them with my own financing and asked them to process the documents in time for the finance company to direct deposit the funds and they didn't process the paperwork timely. I was in a hurry to purchase a vehicle because my mother's last uncle on her dad's side was dying and all he told her was "just get here". I told her I would "get her there". I depended on them and they failed me. This was Friday afternoon. They turned the paperwork in late so, the direct deposit wasn't processed until Monday and the direct deposit hit their bank account Tuesday morning. Guess what, my great uncle passed Tuesday morning. Had they processed the paperwork in time, I could have driven my mother the 13-14 hours to see her Uncle 1 last time before he passed. It torture to hear my mother sobbing in grief because she was the only niece that wasn't in town when he passed and he specifically asked her to get there.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please do not use the "preview" function. It eats posts for some people.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You want to show us where the car dealership had a duty to process the paperwork in the time frame you demanded?

dejaoo7

You want to show us where the car dealership had a duty to process the paperwork in the time frame you demanded?
I have an e-mail and text letting the salesman know that the finance company was expecting the paperwork and they'd give me another hour to get it in. I did let the salesman know that if they didn't get it in, then it wouldn't be processed Friday; it would be process Monday.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're missing the point.

They did not have a responsibility or an obligation under the law to follow your time frame. It was not their responsibility to ensure that you had the car in hand when you wanted it. There was no negligence since there was no obligation, and even if you could prove procrastination that is not something for which you can sue.

justalayman

This was Friday afternoon. They turned the paperwork in late so, the direct deposit wasn't processed until Monday and the direct deposit hit their bank account Tuesday morning.
that is about as expedient as you can get. Are you suggesting they should have dropped everything and processed absolutely everything regarding your deal immediately? They might have if you tossed some extra money at them (car dealers will do just about anything for the right price) but as it stands, they got right on it.

. Guess what, my great uncle passed Tuesday morning. Had they processed the paperwork in time, I could have driven my mother the 13-14 hours to see her Uncle 1 last time before he passed. It torture to hear my mother sobbing in grief because she was the only niece that wasn't in town when he passed and he specifically asked her to get there.
ever hear of a plane?

seriously, expecting your urgency exacerbated by the fact you had to purchase a vehicle to be able to travel to cause others to act so quickly as to conform to requirements your lending institution imposed upon you is simply unrealistic. It also imposed no legal requirement on the dealership to act in accordance with your wishes.

dejaoo7

that is about as expedient as you can get. Are you suggesting they should have dropped everything and processed absolutely everything regarding your deal immediately? They might have if you tossed some extra money at them (car dealers will do just about anything for the right price) but as it stands, they got right on it.

Yes I did expect them to get right on it. There was no one else there at the time and at least 4 of their salesmen were just standing there twiddling their thumbs.

ever hear of a plane? Yes, I have heard of planes, "I" use them all the time, but unfortunately I couldn't afford to purchase 5 tickets.

seriously, expecting your urgency exacerbated by the fact you had to purchase a vehicle to be able to travel to cause others to act so quickly as to conform to requirements your lending institution imposed upon you is simply unrealistic. It also imposed no legal requirement on the dealership to act in accordance with your wishes.
Ok. I appreciate all of your advice. Thanks.

dejaoo7

re

You're missing the point.

They did not have a responsibility or an obligation under the law to follow your time frame. It was not their responsibility to ensure that you had the car in hand when you wanted it. There was no negligence since there was no obligation, and even if you could prove procrastination that is not something for which you can sue.

Ok, thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">