• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Professional Photographer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Debbie J.

TX ... In the state of Texas, is it legal for a professional photographer to use a child's picture, that they have taken, in their portfolio without getting written (or verbal) permission from the child's parents or guardian? Over the weekend, my daughter went to pick up some pictures of my 18 mo. old granddaughter. The photographer at the studio had put one of the picture's into her portfolio without telling them.

At first my daughter thought it was kind of nice that the photographer liked the picture that much. The more she thought about it and when she discussed it with her husband, they were uncomfortable with the picture being out there for others to view. They live in a fairly small town and are often at the shopping center where the photo is being used.

Should the photographer have gotten their permission before using the photo? Do they have any recourse? Can they insist that her picture not be used?

Thanks,
Debbie J.

Last edited:

djohnson

What did they sign when the child had her picture made? Anything on there about portraits or negatives taken being the property of the photographer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">