• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promise Not Kept

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M Lewis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
M. Lewis
Pennsylvania

I had a fence installed in my back yard. When they came to install the fence, the boards were not up to par. I called the owner and told him the boards had knots in them. He said that was normal and if there were any that were not good, they would be replaced. After the fence was put up, I found cracked boards and they started to warp.

The company has installed the fence too close to the pavement, according to the township, and it had to be moved back an inch. I gave them the paperwork from the township when they came to install the fence. They were not happy about moving the fence. He said he would talk to the township person, but changed his mind. He kept telling me someone would come out and move it, which went on for a week of promises, until I threatened to take them to court.

They came out and moved it back and then asked for $200. I told them I was not giving them anything because that was not discussed by me and the owner. When I called him to inquire about it and to find out when the boards would be replaced, I did not receive a return call. That was one week ago.
Should I send him a letter restating everything that happened before filing a complaint with the court? I don't owe them any money, because if he had told me that I had to pay, I would have been taking him to court. He played his workers, so they would come out and move the fence back.

justalayman

not that it changes the bad board situation but who told the guy where to put the fence? You state that you gave the installers the paper from the township so what is "the paper"?

as to the boards; writing a letter is easier and cheaper than going to court so I would write a letter first.

Yes, as you have planned, send the company a letter restating everything, and then threaten them that you will take them to the court, and this time they should receive a letter from the court actually, if they still do not cooperate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">