• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchase price false...documents altered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njayj

What is the name of your state?Engand, UK

Approx 3 months ago I bought a Vauxhall Omega from a private seller. On visiting the car for the first time, I was told that the car was bought for £6000. The seller had posted the car for £5500 online. After a few phone calls, the seller agreed to drop the price and allow me to purchase the car for £4900. We asked the seller if he had the receipt, to which he answered he did not know where it was. I asked him if he could give us the name of the dealership and we could then get a copy ourselves. He told us that he doesn’t remember where he bought the car from. He said he would check in the local business listings to see if he could find the no. We then made a follow-up call to see what had happened, he said that he found the receipt in the yellow pages. After this, we then went to collect the car. There was only myself 3 members of my family and the Mr and Mrs 'Seller'. We gave them a cheque for the required amount. We had faith in the deal and didn’t see any reason to feel that anything was wrong, and so didn’t look at the receipt at the time. When we got home, I checked the receipt only to find that it stated the car was bought for £5000 (approx). I was furious as I had accepted the deal at face value only to be lied to. I rang the seller up, only to speak to his wife. I stated that the receipt told a different story regarding the purchase price to what the seller told me. After much waffling, she confessed that the receipt had been altered, but it doesn’t matter because we got it at a good price. I told them that I had cancelled the cheque and that they should come and collect their car. A few days later after not hearing from them I wrote a letter to them to say that if they did not collect their car within a few days, I would send them a cheque for £3900. We heard nothing from them, so what I did is send them a cheque for £3900 and stated along with an accompanying letter for them to bank the cheque and end the matter. They did bank the money and then seeked legal advice to claim £1000. I seeked legal advice and was told that upon them banking the cheque they had entered into a new agreement.

Where do I stand on this, I feel my case is strong because they altered the receipt and I was lied to.

Sorry for the lengthy description, but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

njayj

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">