• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased Car....Dealer won't give me title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Davidc

I live in Massachusetts and purchased a used vehicle nearly a month ago from a dealer. They have been unable to provide me with a title so that I can register the car. They delivered the car to my house about a week after I purchased it, but I've been unable to use it. I took a loan note, insured the vehicle, paid sales tax and I'm out over $16,000 at this point. Can I just return this car and demand payment for all of this??? Do I have any other options at this point??

Thank you

Mass_Shyster

I live in Massachusetts and purchased a used vehicle nearly a month ago from a dealer. They have been unable to provide me with a title so that I can register the car. They delivered the car to my house about a week after I purchased it, but I've been unable to use it. I took a loan note, insured the vehicle, paid sales tax and I'm out over $16,000 at this point. Can I just return this car and demand payment for all of this??? Do I have any other options at this point??

Thank you
In Massachusetts, you pay sales tax at the RMV when you title the vehicle. How did you pay sales tax without registering it?

What documentation did you get from the dealer when you purchased the car?

Davidc

Hi...thank you for the reply. I elected to roll the sales tax into the financing of the vehicle. They also sold me an extended service plan which they have not submitted to the third party company to start that service for me.

For paperwork I have:
Motor vehicle purchase contract
Odometer disclosure statement
Retail installment sale agreement (loan note)
Limited Use Vehicle Warranty (lemon law disclosure in Massachusetts)

Please help me!!!!!!!

:mad:

Davidc

Just as a followup to my previous posts.....I contacted the Attorney General's office in Massachusetts and they provided me with some interesting information about my situation. Apparently in Massachusetts when an automobile dealer delivers a car to you they have 10 days to provide you with the title to the vehicle. If they do not, it is a criminal offense. When I confronted the dealer with this information and told them that I would be pursuing them in this manner the title suddenly showed up the next day and they registered the vehicle and sent the plates to my home via FedEx.

I found that to be rather interesting to say the least. It would seem that my situation improved greatly once I had some valuable information to use.

Thank you for the help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">