• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased car, later found out mileage was incorrect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BenBilla

What is the name of your state?
California

I purchased a car about a month ago. Since then, a number of things have gone wrong with it, which led me to purchase a carfax report for the car. The report revealed that the mileage was not accurate--the report had both "Mileage exceeded mechanical limits" and "Not actual mileage" alerts. I would like to know what my rights are under the truth in mileage act--basically, whether I can get my money back. I'd like to know if I can get a) the purchase price, b) the sales tax, and c) the money I put into repairs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually planning on moving in the near future, so I would like to take care of all this as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Ben
[email protected]
650-387-9145

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BenBilla said:
What is the name of your state?
California

I purchased a car about a month ago. Since then, a number of things have gone wrong with it, which led me to purchase a carfax report for the car. The report revealed that the mileage was not accurate--the report had both "Mileage exceeded mechanical limits" and "Not actual mileage" alerts. I would like to know what my rights are under the truth in mileage act--basically, whether I can get my money back. I'd like to know if I can get a) the purchase price, b) the sales tax, and c) the money I put into repairs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually planning on moving in the near future, so I would like to take care of all this as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Ben
[email protected]
650-387-9145

My response:

Try this first: You can file a complaint with your local Department of Motor Vehicles. They will definitely investigate this problem, and assist you to get your money refunded.

If, for some reason, the above doesn't get you the satisfaction you're looking to obtain, you can certainly file a lawsuit for Breach of Contract and Fraud against the offending party.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">