• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased Leased Property and Didn't Know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yzfsean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

We recently opened a new location for our existing business. This new location was being vacated by another business which had filed for bankruptcy. While inspecting the location, before we took possession, I was able to converse with a regional manager for the company which was vacating the location. This individual sold me various items in the location (storefront signage, counters, chairs, desks, floor safe...etc) which were obviously being used by the business while they were at the location. He claimed that all of the items belonged to the business and that he was authorized by the company to sell the items. One of the items happened to be a water cooler. The water cooler had no distingushing markings identifying it as a leased machine, nor did it have any visible contact information for the company it was leased from.

Over a year after I purchased the water cooler, a rep from a water supply company came into our location and informed us that the cooler was their property and that the previous company hadn't made a payment on it in over a year. He informed us that they would be coming to pick up the cooler and return it to their warehouse. He offered us the opportunity to re-lease the cooler at the same rate that the other company had been paying.

Suffice to say, I'm not interested in leasing a cooler that I've already paid for. The company is threatening legal action and stating that it is illegal to be "in reciept of stolen property" and that just giving them the cooler back and losing the money I paid for it will be "cheaper than the legal battle that will ensue".

Is the cooler mine? I purchased it. Am I required to give it back to the company? If so, am I entitled to any repayment of the money I spent to purchase it?

Thanks in advance for any help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

Is the cooler mine?
that is the question

I purchased it.
but who you purchased it from may not have had the legal right to sell it

Am I required to give it back to the company?
If it really was a leased water cooler, yes, if that is what they want.

If so, am I entitled to any repayment of the money I spent to purchase it?
based on what you said; yes. You will have to seek the money from the guy that illegally sold the cooler to you but unless you have that appliance listed separately with a dollar amount attached, good luck trying to determine how much you paid for it.

yzfsean

Had a feeling that was the answer I was going to get. Thanks for the quick reply and great work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">