• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased used car, curious if I should take action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mfphenom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I financed a used car. They gave me a 90 day 100% coverage warranty. The car started losing oil pressure and I parked it and called. The salesman said he had no clue and he would call me monday first thing. I did not hear from him. The car had full oil pressure when I turned it on, so I tried to drive it slowly to the shop to get repaired if there was an issue as the check engine light was still on. On the way the pressure dropped to nothing again and the car stalled out, and would not restart. I had it towed to the shop, they called me back the next day saying they were going to rebuild the engine as it had seized up and needed the lower half rebuilt. 2 weeks later and no calls from them, I get ahold of them finally and he says the engine is shot, hes not spending 4 grand for another one to come get my down payment and car i traded in back. I asked why it took 2 weeks to tell me that, and he just said, well it took me time to get to the car. I feel they should honor their contract and warranty, and would like advice before moving on.

swalsh411

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You're lucky the dealership isn't saying you voided the warranty because you drove it knowing it had little to no oil pressure. Buy another car.

OHRoadwarrior

Chiming in as number 3. Take your money and run. Rebuilt or replaced engines frequently have issues down the road. The car will never be what you bought.

mfphenom

Thanks for the advice. I am just more angry than anything at this point that they blew me off for 2 weeks, and are not honoring their warranty. They were trying to get me to give it back before because they are losing money on the deal. They will just repair the car and sell it for much more than they sold it to me for. It is just a frustrating situation and the way they have dealt with it seems very fishy to me. I was thinking I could have them replace the engine as per their signed agreement and things would be ok, but I have no clue how that would work out legally or if I would have a case or not.

swalsh411

A court is not going to order them to replace the engine. The court would order them to refund your purchase money and either return your trade or give you the value of your trade, which is what they are offering to do and you should accept. You're not going to do any better.

OHRoadwarrior

What you look at as blowing you off for 2 weeks, is likely them proceeding in the regular course of business to determine what the warranty company will authorize, if anything and exploring their other options if the warranty company refuses the claim. The latter of which is likely, due to the short duration of time from sale.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The engine/engine work probably exceeds the value of the car. Even if you took this to court, all you'd be able to recover is up to the value of the car.

Hot Topic

You run a risk when you buy a used car.

What you "feel" is irrelevant. All that's important is the state law regarding such purchases.

Proseguru

How much $ did OP pay for car?

How much is car worth$$?

How much is engine change $$?

How much will dealer pay to "cancel the deal basically"--looks like it will just get you back to the economic level your were before you bought the car?

IT maybe that the OP got a used car at 1/2 its value (maybe car is 50,000 dollar car OP got for 25K--then engine is less than value of car).

And why are you financing a car? They are disposable items ... never finance a car.

I would take your old car back, drive it until you have cash to buy a car you want and can afford.

Never take a loan unless its absolutely necessary -- a car is not one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">