• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased vehicle with insides of cadalytic converter missing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SMcClure

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I recently purchased a vehicle. Now, it is used and I was aware that it was not perfect. I took it to mechanic and had it inspected for the laundry list. Well, my biggest surprise was that the cadalytic converter, while still intact, had been cut open and the insides were removed and then it was put back on the vehicle. I am also on my second thirty day tag due to not receiving my title. I am interested in finding out what recourse I have if any aside from returning the vehicle?
Be nice, I bruise easily!:)

SMcClure

yep

That is correct. Now You can jump all over me if it makes you feel good but that is all you will accomplish, making yourself feel good.
My question is, is there any recourse?

racer72

Depends on whether you purchased it "as is" or not.
Not true in this case. It is illegal to sell a vehicle that has altered emission equipment unless the vehicle is for off road use only. That is why the OP needs an attorney, he/she needs to file a lawsuit for recission of sale lawsuit.

You Are Guilty

Not true in this case. It is illegal to sell a vehicle that has altered emission equipment unless the vehicle is for off road use only. That is why the OP needs an attorney, he/she needs to file a lawsuit for recission of sale lawsuit.
Actually, I'd think the appropriate measure of damages is the cost of parts & labor to replace the cats with functioning/existing ones. Given their prices, it may or may not fall under he small claims limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">