• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about catalogs and prices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BonutDot

What is the name of your state? Illinois

a catalog does not constitute an offer but is rather a solicitation for bids, in other words, offers, from prospective buyers. A buyer, in response to the bid price suggested by the catalog may in fact offer the merchant that price for the goods advertised in the catalog; on the other hand, a buyer may make an offer at a lower or higher price (usually lower). It is up to the merchant to accept the offer, usually by shipping the goods and depositing the tendered funds in his account, or to refuse the offer, either by asking for more money or by refusing the tender of funds or returning the payment instrument to the offeror.
Is that statement true? I heard it from some publication, but am unsure of its actual basis. Any idea on where I could look to find relevant laws?

BonutDot

If I were to go to a site that stores their prices clientside (on your end of the connection), and change the prices to something lower, would that constitute fraud or a different bid solicitation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">