• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrmoomoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I ride the transit system in town and my bike was stolen. But they don't allow you to lock the bike to the bus to prevent it from happening. Even though they have a sign saying they aren't responsible wouldn't the act of not allowing your bike to be locked up make them responsible?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I ride the transit system in town and my bike was stolen. But they don't allow you to lock the bike to the bus to prevent it from happening. Even though they have a sign saying they aren't responsible wouldn't the act of not allowing your bike to be locked up make them responsible?
Nope. You were put on notice that you couldn't lock your bike and you STILL CHOSE to ride the bus.

tranquility

No. Not even close.

Mrmoomoo

I have another question related, the rule that is listed isn't actually in the rules for riding the bus although some drivers are trying to enforce it. If I did comply and didn't lock it wouldn't that make the driver responsible for it as it isn't in the rules. Or would I still be responsible because I agreed to it. I assume the latter but I wanted to ask to be clear.

Thanks in advance

tranquility

The purpose for the sign is to make sure you are aware no bailment is created. They are not taking responsibility for your bike. Period. If they did some act that caused the damage or loss, that could be a problem. (Say, the bus crashed and hurt your bike.) But, they are not guaranteeing your choice to rack the bike against the illegal acts of others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">