• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about sales tactics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theunknownman

hello there now i wont bore you with all the details so il just ask a question and that is what are the legal grounds for a sales person to push someone into a contract by saying that they should go onto job seekers allowance in order to pay for the services that the contract provides and if it is a questionable act what rules does it break?

quincy

hello there now i wont bore you with all the details so il just ask a question and that is what are the legal grounds for a sales person to push someone into a contract by saying that they should go onto job seekers allowance in order to pay for the services that the contract provides and if it is a questionable act what rules does it break?
Please provide the name of your state and please "bore" us with more details so we can figure out what exactly is going on. Thanks. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please provide the name of your state and please "bore" us with more details so we can figure out what exactly is going on. Thanks. :)
While I don't disagree, I think the more appropriate response may be:

Sorry, this forum is for US law only.

theunknownman

Well im from the UK my county is Hampshire if that helps and a while back i was interested in becoming a games designer, i guess like most young people are and i came across a add for train2game which boasted itself as a course designed by the industry for the industry, so i thought it sounded good and got into contact and after a phone call i had a sales rep come round the next day to pitch me the course, he showed me some glossy leaflets gave me a promotional dvd and made me take a little test to see if i was ''right'' for the course, then it came time to chat about the whole price thing and it wasn't cheap (about 5k), he asked me how i was going to fund something like this and after i stated i do not know my dad instantly stated NO ( like most parents do), he then said i should sign onto job seekers and fund the course that way. Yes i did do it and the course turned out to be nothing like it was sold to be. the whole point of my post was to just see if the sale rep had any grounds to sort of persuade me into something im having alot of trouble to pay for, i feel it was a irresponsible move on his part and just want some confirmation.

Zigner

Well im from the UK my county is Hampshire if that helps and a while back i was interested in becoming a games designer, i guess like most young people are and i came across a add for train2game which boasted itself as a course designed by the industry for the industry, so i thought it sounded good and got into contact and after a phone call i had a sales rep come round the next day to pitch me the course, he showed me some glossy leaflets gave me a promotional dvd and made me take a little test to see if i was ''right'' for the course, then it came time to chat about the whole price thing and it wasn't cheap (about 5k), he asked me how i was going to fund something like this and after i stated i do not know my dad instantly stated NO ( like most parents do), he then said i should sign onto job seekers and fund the course that way. Yes i did do it and the course turned out to be nothing like it was sold to be. the whole point of my post was to just see if the sale rep had any grounds to sort of persuade me into something im having alot of trouble to pay for, i feel it was a irresponsible move on his part and just want some confirmation.
I feel that it was irresponsible of you to ignore your father's sage advice.

latigo

. . . . .what rules does it break?
Sure beats me. But then neither am I aware of a rule preventing a customer form "pushing" back?

I can safely tell you this though. Pleading buyer's remorse won't get you past the courtroom bailiff - even if he is half asleep.

quincy

Sure beats me. But then neither am I aware of a rule preventing a customer form "pushing" back?

I can safely tell you this though. Pleading buyer's remorse won't get you past the courtroom bailiff - even if he is half asleep.
Well, in the U.S. there are "buyer remorse" laws and "cooling off" periods for some contracts (and the type of contract described here might, in fact, be covered under these laws). What the laws cover, however, vary by state (with California being, perhaps, the friendliest state for consumers to have second thoughts on a purchase).

Also, depending on this chap's age, a contract signed in the U.S. may not be enforceable.

This forum, as a note, seems to have a lot of visitors from Hampshire County. If any U.K. attorney is thinking of hanging their shingle, this might be a good county in which to do it. :)

Zigner

Well, in the U.S. there are "buyer remorse" laws and "cooling off" periods for some contracts (and the type of contract described here might, in fact, be covered under these laws). What the laws cover, however, vary by state (with California being, perhaps, the friendliest state for consumers to have second thoughts on a purchase).
The OP has already gone through the course. "Cooling Off" periods in any US state would be long-expired.

Also, depending on this chap's age, a contract signed in the U.S. may not be enforceable.
True.

This forum, as a note, seems to have a lot of visitors from Hampshire County. If any U.K. attorney is thinking of hanging their shingle, this might be a good county in which to do it. :)
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">