• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about selling more than you can provide.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

someguy321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I work in as a student worker in a housing department for a university in Texas. Part of being a resident on campus is that you're required to purchase a meal plan. There are roughly 1500 residents that live on campus and the minimum meal plan would provide one meal a day (estimated) per resident. So by simple logic, housing should be able to provide more than 1500 meals a day.

The problem is that there is only one venue on campus that accepts these meal plans (out of about 10), and they can only provide meals about 400 meals three times a day for a total of 1200 meals. My question is; does housing or the company that manages the on campus dining venues have any legal responsibility to provide as many meals as they sell?

Also, the meal plans expire at the end of the semester and from talking with many residents I have learned that many of there meals go to waste and the quality of there meals are low.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ShyCat

If meals are already going to waste, there's certainly no need for another 300 meals to go to waste every day. Additional wastage would only increase the cost. They know not every student is going to get a meal there every day. It's part of the statistical calculations used when doing the meal planning/purchasing. Nothing unethical or illegal about it, if that's what you're trying to insinuate. As for the low quality, best you can do is complain through available channels (e.g., letter to the editor of the school paper).

someguy321

Sorry, I was alittle unclear about the meals going to waste. What I meant was the you get x number of meals a semester and most residents use less than that. If you go during peak hours, you have a hard time finding food (cafateria style).

My question isn't about preparing enough food. My question is if this company sells say 200,000 meals are they required to be able to prepere and serve that many during the semester? My estimation is that they are only able to serve 50-75% of what they sell.

justalayman

Your estimation, unless you have access to all of the information and the education to apply it concerning your claim, is worth about the same as those crummy meals.

No, they are not liable for overselling. They makes meals based on past performance. It would be the most prudent action.

Have you attempted to speak with the cafeteria people? Do they have any suggestions so you can have your meal everyday?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">