• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on car order, right to cancel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tonkafab

Hoping to get advice so I have some the proper info before I approach dealership. I am in the stage of Colorado.

Here's background info:

I traded in a leased vehicle, which was paid off by the dealership, I presume (on the web page of the financial institution I leased vehicle through, it says 'payoff'). I ordered a car, and have not purchased the car yet, as it has not been received by the dealership. So currently waiting on delivery of the car to dealership. I have $1000 deposit with dealership, which they said was non refundable. When I spoke to the sales manager I considered backing out of this deal, he told me that my only option was to buy my old car back, which is currently for sale on their lot. I was taken aback by this, but assumed this to be a true statement.

I spoke to an individual at another dealership, and he says I have every right to back out of this deal, and collect my deposit as well. I did not sign paperwork to purchase the car, as I neither have the car in my possession, nor is the car in the dealer's possession.

Am I stuck with this car, as the dealer employee has informed me? The only document I recollect is a piece of paper that says what the purchase price is, and that I agree to it. And a form for a deposit. But I was informed in the state of Colorado, you can not have a non refundable deposit?

I don't appreciate being lied to, particularly when I approached this dealer in a cordial manner. I do not wish to put any business in a financial bind, but I also don't appreciate being misinformed to my face. I will seek counsel if needed, particularly if I was lied to.

Thank you

adjusterjack

All car dealers lie.

It's impossible to tell you whether you are stuck with the car you ordered because I can't read any of your paperwork.

And your comment:

The only document I recollect is a piece of paper that says what the purchase price is, and that I agree to it. And a form for a deposit.
Leads me to conclude that you didn't retain copies of those documents.

If you want out of the deal and cannot post copies of your documents for review I suggest you consult an attorney and stop paying attention to the dealers or any other know-nothings.

Bottom line, though, I suspect that your dealer has the deck stacked in his favor and if you back out you'll lose your $1000.

Tonkafab

All car dealers lie.

It's impossible to tell you whether you are stuck with the car you ordered because I can't read any of your paperwork.

And your comment:

Leads me to conclude that you didn't retain copies of those documents.

If you want out of the deal and cannot post copies of your documents for review I suggest you consult an attorney and stop paying attention to the dealers or any other know-nothings.

Bottom line, though, I suspect that your dealer has the deck stacked in his favor and if you back out you'll lose your $1000.

Honestly, I'm ok with losing my deposit at this point and walking away. What I didn't appreciate, is him telling me that my only option is to buy the traded in car back.

adjusterjack

Honestly, I'm ok with losing my deposit at this point and walking away.
That could be the least of your problems. You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract. Performance and promises to perform could do it.

What I didn't appreciate, is him telling me that my only option is to buy the traded in car back.
Get used to that kind of treatment if you continue to shop at car dealers.

LdiJ

Honestly, I'm ok with losing my deposit at this point and walking away. What I didn't appreciate, is him telling me that my only option is to buy the traded in car back.
They paid off your lease...therefore they have already done part of what they agreed to do. I believe that they are right, you would have to buy back the traded in car. I do not see any other way to completely unravel the deal. Someone else may think of another one, but one way or another, you are going to owe them money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">