• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about EULA and software

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ingressus

Hello!
I am about to publish my first android application, and in Google's android developer guidelines i saw a recomendation to include EULA in my app. While it is only a suggestion and could be skipped, for me adding EULA is important. Because eversince i started working on this project, i've had anxiety, that by some freak accident or unforseen error my app could cause serious damage, for witch i would be held responsible. So i think, that EULA and limitations of liability could be a answer.
Yet i have no experience in legal stuff, so i have many question about how EULA works and how it should be created:
1) How/when does EULA comes into effect? Is it the procedure of accepting/rejecting EULA?
2) How do i represent my self as a distributor if i don't own a company? Is it possible to have valid EULA and Limitations of liability with no company?
3) is it obsolutely necesary to have a EULA written specifically for my app or can i use EULA from other apps as an example to compose my document? Or can i use templates? How reliable are "paid" document generators? Is it possible, that my EULA is dismissed because of mistakes and inadequacies in document?

Some info about me and my app:
1) I live in Latvia.
2) My app is intended for free use (with plans to make it commercial).
3)My app is a service tool, that doesnt require or store personal user data.

I know i ask alot of questions, but i am really confused about all this. i would apreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello!
I am about to publish my first android application, and in Google's android developer guidelines i saw a recomendation to include EULA in my app. While it is only a suggestion and could be skipped, for me adding EULA is important. Because eversince i started working on this project, i've had anxiety, that by some freak accident or unforseen error my app could cause serious damage, for witch i would be held responsible. So i think, that EULA and limitations of liability could be a answer.
Yet i have no experience in legal stuff, so i have many question about how EULA works and how it should be created:
1) How/when does EULA comes into effect? Is it the procedure of accepting/rejecting EULA?
2) How do i represent my self as a distributor if i don't own a company? Is it possible to have valid EULA and Limitations of liability with no company?
3) is it obsolutely necesary to have a EULA written specifically for my app or can i use EULA from other apps as an example to compose my document? Or can i use templates? How reliable are "paid" document generators? Is it possible, that my EULA is dismissed because of mistakes and inadequacies in document?

Some info about me and my app:
1) I live in Latvia.
2) My app is intended for free use (with plans to make it commercial).
3)My app is a service tool, that doesnt require or store personal user data.

I know i ask alot of questions, but i am really confused about all this. i would apreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!
Sorry - this forum is for US law matters only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">