• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about how to interprete the court outcome, and etc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jingjing

I am filling out a form (N-400) for US citizenship
, there are a few legal terminologies I would
want to know thier exact defitions in US.
There is a question on the form like:
"Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained
by any law enforcement offier ? (yes/no)"

I'v never been arrested or detained. But what
does "cited" mean here ? Does it include
receive a speeding ticket (Citation) or
similar, and indicate that you must present
in court ? Or it mean something more serious

About seven year ago I involved in a case (about wildlife protection) for which I had to present in court. I pled NOT GUILTY, while the Judge said : "You are NOT GUILTY after $50 fine". The Citation was DISPOSED. (The NC Wake Count Court record show this as a "DISPOSED CITATION" and an empty Citation result form).

My question is: legaly was I guilty or not guilty of the charges, or can it be something else ?
(settled, dismissed, etc). I wouldn't think this can be counted as a criminal record. At least not a serious one. Am I right ?

Although I still didn't agree, thinking that I had lots to say to show that I was innocent and didn't deserve even the $50 fine, I went ahead paid the fine to get it over with. I only had a chance to speak for less than two minutes(I recall) before the Judge gave out his rule.

Now I am applying for US Citizenship. Do I have to put a "Yes" for the above metioned question for this. Actually I already decided to put "Yes" and
going to write a explanation about it.

But the application is important. I'd like to
know if it will have any effect on my application. Would it make sense to write a petition to the court to dispute about the citation and the $50 fine ? Actually as long as this can not be considered as a serious crime, I would forget it. I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">