• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick Personal Sale Contract Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paperer

Today I sold a motor to a person after making arrangements from an online forum. We met and exchanged money and the motor. I then signed a document that stated a few things, but this was a line that I'm having trouble with as I left:

"If motor isn't is working order, as state, after installation (within 30 days of the sale) money will be refunded, and the motor will be returned"

Witnesses signed and etc. but my question is...what if he installs the motor wrong or has some sort of mechanical error on his part, and tries to get his money back?

The motor ran fine when I had it, no doubt. I'm just a little weary about him messing something up and trying to con his money back.

Thanks for any and all help!

latigo

The “what ifs” are:

(1) If after installation the motor is not working satisfactorily, then he is going to demand his money back.

(2) If he takes you to court, he is going to testify that the installation was proper.

(3) The burden of proof will then shift to you to convince the judge that improper installation was the problem, not the engine.

Now how do you think you will go about convincing the judge - unless you were present at the time it was installed?

Paperer

I wont be able to be present at the installation, but I have video of the car running with the motor and driving when I started selling parts. The transmission started going out and I was tired of messing with the car and decided to just sell the performance parts as it would bring in more money parting it out.

I know he won't have any problems with it on my part, but I just had a "what if" in the back of my mind on his.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">