• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Radio advertisement 'disclaimer'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rasstag

Some radio advertisements, at the conclusion of their pitch, add a 'legal disclaimer' at the end. Typically it's someone that is speaking at hyper-speed like an auctioneer on speed... the rate at which the verbiage hits you is usually incomprehensible.

Since you have to pay biased on the length of time the radio spot is aired... they must believe that they are getting 'something' for their money.

Nevertheless … I have to wonder if that 'disclaimer' is, in fact, binding to the listener when delivered in such a manner.

What is your opinion?

FlyingRon

More often than not these disclaimers are not required and the subsequent contact with them would repeat them to you anyhow to make sure they are not binding.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some radio advertisements, at the conclusion of their pitch, add a 'legal disclaimer' at the end. Typically it's someone that is speaking at hyper-speed like an auctioneer on speed... the rate at which the verbiage hits you is usually incomprehensible.

Since you have to pay biased on the length of time the radio spot is aired... they must believe that they are getting 'something' for their money.

Nevertheless … I have to wonder if that 'disclaimer' is, in fact, binding to the listener when delivered in such a manner.

What is your opinion?
1) US Law Only
2) This is not a forum for random discussion. Did you have a specific legal question about a matter you are involved in?

quincy

What is your opinion?
The purpose of all disclaimers is to limit liability.

Disclaimer clauses in contracts can help to reduce circumstances under which a party can be held liable for a breach. Disclaimers in warranties in the sale of goods often need to be in writing and conspicuous to be valid. Mostly disclaimers work to mitigate any damages that might otherwise be awarded when a dispute arises.

Recent studies have shown that consumers ignore, or cannot read or understand, the radio and TV ad disclaimers that are either spoken too rapidly or that run in small print at the bottom of a television screen, making them of little use as an effective notice. To date, however, these disclaimers are required by law.

Rasstag

Thank you all for your contributions...

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and your inputs on this question.

Zigner – my apologies if my post fell outside the guidelines set for this forum. This “random discussion” was an attempt to gain pertinent information which may allow me to circumvent a 'matter' where I might find myself facing a 'legal question' in the first place.

Rasstag

quincy

Thank you all for your contributions...

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and your inputs on this question.

Zigner – my apologies if my post fell outside the guidelines set for this forum. This “random discussion” was an attempt to gain pertinent information which may allow me to circumvent a 'matter' where I might find myself facing a 'legal question' in the first place.

Rasstag
All of the information you received applies to the US only. The laws in other countries vary significantly so, if you are not in the US, what was provided will not be of any use to you.

The best way to "circumvent" a matter where you might find yourself facing a legal question is to sit down with an attorney in your area of the world and have a direct (rather than a random) discussion with the specifics of your legal concerns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">