• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receiving books and magazines not ordered, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

book_scam

What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently my wife has begun to receive books and magazines that we did not order. We were living with my parents for a while, but had an argument with them.

We still go back to their residence to get old mail (recently activated mail forwarding)

In the past week of going there, we have received 2 statements in my wife's name demanding payments for subsciptions to "newborn baby" books and magazines.

Today we responded to a certified mailing notice (picked this notice up at my parents house) We went to the post office and noticed a box. Strangely enough, it required no signature. We opened the box and there were about 8 childrens' books in it.

Inside was an invoice for free books, but for $12 shipping.

We really don't have the money to ship their items back, but in turn we never signed anything stating that we wanted to receive them.

Do you have any ideas on how to proceed?

Their number is long distance which we don't have either.

Can this potentially harm credit history?

My wife has no credit history anyway since she is on a tourist visa, and we have not yet adjusted status.

Thank you for your time!

HomeGuru

book_scam said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently my wife has begun to receive books and magazines that we did not order. We were living with my parents for a while, but had an argument with them.

We still go back to their residence to get old mail (recently activated mail forwarding)

In the past week of going there, we have received 2 statements in my wife's name demanding payments for subsciptions to "newborn baby" books and magazines.

Today we responded to a certified mailing notice (picked this notice up at my parents house) We went to the post office and noticed a box. Strangely enough, it required no signature. We opened the box and there were about 8 childrens' books in it.

Inside was an invoice for free books, but for $12 shipping.

We really don't have the money to ship their items back, but in turn we never signed anything stating that we wanted to receive them.

Do you have any ideas on how to proceed?

Their number is long distance which we don't have either.

Can this potentially harm credit history?

My wife has no credit history anyway since she is on a tourist visa, and we have not yet adjusted status.

Thank you for your time!
**A: why did you open the box? Was there a sender's address? Being that it is not Christmas yet, what are the chances that someone is sending you a gift? You should have looked at the box, crossed out your name, written in "Return To Sender" and deposited the item in the mailbox at the post office. There would be no charge for postage to send it back.

B

book_scam

well my wife is pregnant and we figured that maybe it was in fact a gift from someone........but since it has been opened and no one has signed for it, there is still no proof that it has ever been received.......

How do we proceed from here now that the "damage" has been done?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">