• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

REDBOX kiosks identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annegg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA
Hello All,
Situation : Redbox kiosks allow any ol' email address to be used during rental of DVD's as the only means of obtaining a receipt for purchase/rental from that "machine" .

Problem: my email address was used a thousand miles away from me, the email account actual person. . Now, I not only recieve receipts for the rentals but , per Redbox Terms of Use agreement via the email being entered at the kiosk- I have now agreed to their Terms of Use - and of my email address for whatever consumer third party purposes they deem necessary for their company or by accident that would of course not be their fault if my address was stolen from them... etc...

Question: Since I did not enter into this relationship with them but someone else did using my email, why wont they remove or flag my email as not being valid for use at their kiossk and also then removing my email from their LIST , and me as being in a contract with them ?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.

anne

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA
Hello All,
Situation : Redbox kiosks allow any ol' email address to be used during rental of DVD's as the only means of obtaining a receipt for purchase/rental from that "machine" .

Problem: my email address was used a thousand miles away from me, the email account actual person. . Now, I not only recieve receipts for the rentals but , per Redbox Terms of Use agreement via the email being entered at the kiosk- I have now agreed to their Terms of Use - and of my email address for whatever consumer third party purposes they deem necessary for their company or by accident that would of course not be their fault if my address was stolen from them... etc...

Question: Since I did not enter into this relationship with them but someone else did using my email, why wont they remove or flag my email as not being valid for use at their kiossk and also then removing my email from their LIST , and me as being in a contract with them ?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.

anne
Doubt it very seriously. Unsubscribe links are usually included on emails, but I'd only use them from companies that I know to be reputable. The rest hits the spam folder.

Folks enter the wrong email all the time for different things. I've got one account that fully a dozen other people seem to think is theirs. Someone had even used it to sign up for FB. I get all sorts of financial information that I don't have any clue about. I had one person's college information being emailed to me. I've been invited to Super Bowl parties half-way across the country, dinner in China and to teach somebody to play the piano (which would cool, but I don't know how to play the piano). Just last week, somebody emailed me a receipt for tollbooth fees in Chicago, telling me to give it to my mother. Told 'em I would, but didn't know what good it would do as Mom hasn't driven in the 2 years since the incident at Cracker Barrel (where she tried to drive through the fence onto the freeway-not on purpose) nor had Mom left the state of Bama for 4 years. :cool:

jiggy78

Redbox is reputable. The unsubscribe link will not sign you up for spam.

Have you tried.... oh I don't know.... contacting Redbox?

P.S. This is nowhere close to "identity theft".

OHRoadwarrior

Doubt it very seriously. Unsubscribe links are usually included on emails, but I'd only use them from companies that I know to be reputable. The rest hits the spam folder.

Folks enter the wrong email all the time for different things. I've got one account that fully a dozen other people seem to think is theirs. Someone had even used it to sign up for FB. I get all sorts of financial information that I don't have any clue about. I had one person's college information being emailed to me. I've been invited to Super Bowl parties half-way across the country, dinner in China and to teach somebody to play the piano (which would cool, but I don't know how to play the piano). Just last week, somebody emailed me a receipt for tollbooth fees in Chicago, telling me to give it to my mother. Told 'em I would, but didn't know what good it would do as Mom hasn't driven in the 2 years since the incident at Cracker Barrel (where she tried to drive through the fence onto the freeway-not on purpose) nor had Mom left the state of Bama for 4 years. :cool:
Based on the content of the emails you are getting Geekess, I assume it isn't OneHotMamma@//////.com LOL.

tranquility

A guy named Ronald put my email into something and I get some spam because of it. I am not hurt beyond maybe a minute a month or so. Like a person jostled while on a bus, life has little problems. The law would fail for all if it cared for such things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">