• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund For Cancelled Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KiHu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

Back in November/December, I wanted to hire a structural engineer / draftsman to draw up plans for renovations to a home I was purchasing. He said he was busy, and didn't have time until later in January. Then around mid-December, he emailed and said some time had opened up for him the week before Christmas and the week after Christmas, and that he could get rolling on the project if I sent him a retainer. So, I sent him a $2500 retainer, for which he sent me a receipt; this was about 1/3 of the payment for about 80 hours of total work he was going to put in on our project. I then didn't hear from him for a couple weeks, followed up a couple times with him, to which his response was that he hadn't gotten to it yet. Once 5-6 weeks had passed (now 3rd week of January), with little communication from him and no progress, I asked for my retainer back. He agreed via email at that time to refund my retainer, minus $500 for a few hours he'd supposedly put into the project; so, he was to send me back $2000 of my retainer.

Tomorrow is now April 1st, and I haven't received any money back from him. When I email him, he says he's still planning to send it, but that I've put him in a bad financial position by cancelling the work he was going to do for us. Originally, he had said his schedule was full and that he was very busy and swamped. Now I've supposedly put him in a bad spot by cancelling 2 weeks of work? Something does not add up here.

I'm wondering what my recourse is at this point? If he still hasn't paid me back in another month, 2 months, 6 months, what can I do? Can I take him to small claims court and win?

Any advice people have would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
KiHu

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Will I be able to win? I have saved all our email communications, which encompass nearly all the conversations we've had.
You may be able to win. There is no way anyone can say that you will win, but your case seems strong on the face of it.

Unfortunately, winning a small claims case is oftentimes the easies part of it. You will then need to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">