• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Banner

I have a question that has been difficult to find an answer to.

I talked with a well know computer company about buying a computer. In the conversation with the sales person (all of this is on the phone) I gave her my bank account information in order to process a payment for the computer. This was on a Sunday so the banks were not open. I began having second thoughts after I gave her my bank information and told here that I was going to check with another company the next day. I told here very plainly not to debt my account until she heard from me.

I decided to go with another company but before I could call her back (on Monday she debted my account). The draft bounced because I did not move money into the account, since I did not order from them. The company I did order the computer from allowed a payment to be made COD when the computer arrived.

Now as I said the draft did not go through because I didn't move the money in. However, when I called the company, they appolized and said it might go though again and if it did they would refund it. (I guess these things are automatic). Anyway I was concerned because I had to cover the check for the computer I did buy. Anyway I put the money in my account and wrote a check for the new computer. Close to the same day I get a check from the first computer company, refunding the draft they had taken in error. I check my account and sure enough the money was gone. I deposited the check.

Now for my problem. The refund check they sent me was in error. I made a mistake when checking my account and did not realize that the 2nd check for the computer I did buy had already cleared. Now I did not notice the error until some time later. The first computer company has now turned me over to collections to get the refund check back.

Now I admit that the first draft did not go though as I first thought when I deposited the refund check. But because of several extra expenses with a rental property I have spent some of the money thinking that it was mine. I have no problem refunding the money. But I need to pay it in installment payments. Also I do not believe this should be showing up on my credit report.

Any advice as to how I can get them to accept installment payments and keep this off of my credit report?

Thanks in adance. I know this is difficult reading.

L

loku

Credit problem

I believe since you do owe the money that your best alternative is to try and negotiate the terms of payment with the collection agency. You would not have a very good chance of preventing them from putting in a bad credit report, or of getting the report removed from your records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">