• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation vs a gym contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcbazscott

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm in the middle of a contract with a Karate gym for my two kids who have completely lost interest in it. I'm strapped financially and can't stand throwing away $150/month for something my kids won't even use. I've tried reasoning with the instructor but he has absolutely no sympathy for me. There is a way out of the contract if you move more than 25 miles away and I am planning to move in the next month but it's only about 15 miles away. I'm wondering if I move to my parent's house (about 35 miles away) for a short time before moving if I can get out of this annoying contract.

The related part of the contract says this:
"In the event of the relocation of the Member's residence to further than 25 miles from any of the Academy's facilities, the Member may cancel this contract and shall be liable for only that portion of the charges allocable to the time before notice of the relocation is given to the Academy." ... "Notice of cancellation for the reasons listed above shall be valid only if it is made in writing and delivered by certified or registered mail to the Academy at the address on this contract."

There is nothing that states that I must provide proof of my new residence. Is there any law that dictates how long I must stay at the residence or what would qualify as proof of residence? Can you suggest anything that I've missed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">