• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SANDRA KEESLER

i am in ca
i live in a mobilehome park
i have paid the rent on time for the past 6 years
now they will not take my check as they say i am not on the rental
ageement.
what can i do
i did fill out papers to be added to the ageement but don't know what they did with them.
now they want me to start all over again with credit check and all
i feel that after 6 + years they know i will paid the rent on time.
i do not have good credit and if they tell me to move
i don't know what to do. this mobile is half mine and don't want to lose it.
please, please help me anyway you can
thanks for any help
slkeesler:(

Last edited:

JETX

It appears that you have two somewhat unrelated problems.

1) Right of tenancy.
From your post, it appears that you have been living on premises, yet have never had a lease or been on a lease. Regretably, this limits your tenant rights, since you legally aren't a tenant under lease. Assuming that you pay rent on a monthly basis, the landlord can continue as such, or give you a 30 day notice to vacate (7 day if paid weekly). It is the landlords choice which.

2) New tenant application.
Further, the landlord has every right to request you to complete a 'new tenant' application, whether you have done so or not. That is because (as noted in #1), you really have little, if any, rights of tenancy since you are not under a lease.
I would certainly hope that your landlord would take your prior payment history into account when deciding on your application, but legally they are under no obligation (barring violation of protected discrimination), to accept your tenancy.

Bottom line...
You have no rights now, and the only way to 'get rights' is to sign a new lease. The only way you can do that is to be accepted by the landlord. And if the landlord refuses, you will very probably have to move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">