• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent, Late Fees, Money Owed... (Indiana)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiejaz

I'm not sure if this is the proper section for this but here goes.

I moved into an apartment complex 18 August and part of the contract signed on September 30th was a "move-in bonus" of $1000 and free August Rent.

I move in on the 18th of August and was surprised to find out that the 1000 bonuses have yet to come in the mail, but not to worry, they'll be in within a week. Every week I come back to the office, and get the same story. "Oh, they're on their way, within a week"

September 3rd rolls around and they send me mail claiming I have late fees on my rent. I write on the back of the note they left me that I will NOT pay late fees on rent I owe when they owe me $1000. My rent is $429/mo.
The same thing happened today - they told me I owe back rent and late fees on both month's rent. I went to talk to a manager and told her I would NOT pay late fees and I would not pay the rent until the move-in bonus came in, and she said that they would go to collections to make me pay the late fees.
Do they have any legal footing on which to charge late fees when they owe me money?

ShyCat

Do they have any legal footing on which to charge late fees when they owe me money?

Of course they do, unless your lease agreement included language that indicated rent was not owed until the move-in bonus was received, which is doubtful at best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">