• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental agreemen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katlynn76

Indiana

My husband and I signed a lease agreement for a house. We moved out 1 month prior to the end of our lease but gave 30 days notice per our agreement. We notified our utility company of our move and transferred service to our new home. We had our final reading 2 weeks after we moved out and paid in full. Now the former landlord wants us to pay for the utilities that they used when the house was unoccupied, until our lease was over. How do we know that they didn't go into the house and turn the heat way up? Can they do that?

JETX

Your post implies that the utility billing was in your name ("transferred service to our new home"). If correct, then once that service was transferred, you are no longer liable for the billing at the old address.

I suggest you contact the utility company and confirm that the service AND billing was transferred on that date. Then, tell the landlord that the bill is THEIRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">