• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

andrew25

What is the name of your state? NJ

I recently entered into a rental agreement with two other people. "John" called me, asked if I would be willing to move in with him if we could find an apt. I agreed. Shortly after my landloard informed me that a 3 bedroom opened up and asked if i was interested. I contacted "john", he informed me he was interested. I contacted another individual who also showed interest. After seeing the apt all agreed to enter into an agreement and a lease to rent this apt for 1 yr. On the date we were to sign the lease "john" informed me that he could not make the appointment but he would sign the lease as soon as possible. The lease was to start on 8/1. on 7/26 John called me and informed me that he spoke to the realestate agent and set up an apointment to sign the lease on 8/9. (The lease was already signed by the other person and myself, based on "johns" promise to sign at a future date") He also informed me that he would pay in full for the first months rent and security at that time. I paid the rent and security on 8/1 and gave john his keys on 8/8 the date of his choice. He gave me a check for the rent and security at that time. on 8/9 he called me up said he was backing out of the deal he did not sign the lease and he was putting a stop payment on his check. Until that time he perpetuated his promise by ensuring me of his participation and by purchasing iteams for the apt. If not for john's actions I would not have moved out of my then current apt. In order to get the keys back I had to give his check back to him. I made copies, however. I moved out b/c the 3 br was cheaper than my 1 br. Now that he re-neged on his obligation I will be paying more than I previously was, to cover his promissed share of the rent. Although he did not sign the lease do I have legal recourse?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">